Here is my list of tech and apps that I use, inspired by Wes Bos's uses.tech. Have a look at my dotfiles to see the configurations for what I use.
Editor & Terminal
- Visual Studio Code is my main code editor.
- My terminal replacement is iTerm2.
- I use OhMyZSH Zsh framework for the terminal.
- I use Homebrew package manager.
- I use Neovim (with
nvim) for quick edits in the terminal.
- I use the official GitHub CLI gh as well as 11ty static site generator for my personal site.
- I switched to 1Password from Lastpass a while ago and couldn't be happier.
- I'm a huge fan of Alfred as a Spotlight replacement. This was recommended by Ali Abdaal.
- Anki spaced repetition/flash card application to learn new information. Taking an active approach is more effective then passive reading or note-taking.
- Drafts is my inbox for text on all my devices.
- I use iA Writer as my distraction free, minimalist markdown editor.
- Obsidian is where my notes are made, worked with, linked and kept.
- Spark is my mail app of choice.
- Todoist is my task manager of choice. This syncs well with my wife's Todoist account.
- I run a local Time Machine backup to a 2TB Western Digital external drive.
- I use Backblaze as my offsite backup solution.
- When out and about without internet access I'll use rsync to back up my projects to an USB drive.
- I use a 2021 14" M1 Apple Macbook Pro.
- I connect my laptop to a LG 27UP850-W 27" Monitor.
- I use a Logitech K860 Keyboard and a Logitech MX Verticle Mouse in an effort to look after my wrists.
- I use a pair of Audio Technica ATH-ANC9 headphones. I've had these for a while and have no need to replace them at home yet.